1. Apply a Pre-emergent Herbicide : A quality pre-emergent applied prior to ground cover will help nip those weeds in the bud. Be sure to read directions carefully.
2. Layout Weed Fabric : A good barrier against weed seeds already existing in the soil. Simply cut holes for your new plants.
3. Remove Weeds in Just Purchased Plants : Weeds love to grow in the pots of growing nursery plants, and often lay in wait for their new home.
4. Install Quality Mulch : A good 2″-3″ layer of quality mulch will help to keep weed seeds from germinating. Not to mention help control both soil temperature and moisture.
5. Don’t Till too Often : Stirring up the soil can expose dormant seeds to sunlight, and soon they’ll be singing in the rain!